Sunday, October 01, 2006

I Still Can't Figure It Out!

As I pack for my trip to Chennai to catch my late night flight to KL I look down from my hotel room window on the traffic below and after almost 4 weeks in this country, I still cannot figure out how it works! If you look closely you'll see the traffic is going in three different directions. No yelling, no screaming, no road rage, no cops, no traffic lights, no road rules and no obvious accidents. It's all done with horns and a generous amount of patience and courtesy. It is one enduring memory of India I will never fathom and never forget.

Ian and I have seen many close shaves ... we've almost been killed several times ... we've seen swerving, honking and near misses every time we've ventured out into India's traffic, but it was on my last trip to Chennai airport that I actually saw metal touch metal. As Ali my driver turned across the incoming traffic ... 3 motorcycles ... I just knew we were going to hit! The riders all pulled short ... except one who braked hard, swerved, held his balance, and didn't fall off but kissed the front of Ali's ageing Ambassadore with the front tyre of the bike. In Sydney this would have demanded a punch-up or at least 5 minutes of unprintable verbal abuse but here in India, a wave from Ali and a stern look from the rider we were in the airport carpark. I still can't figure it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home