Friday, September 22, 2006

I Should Have Spoken English

It is well known that Indians generally do not like to say the word "No". This can make things very difficult and in their eagerness to please things often get confused.

This morning we'd run out of soap in our hotel room. This despite our room having been cleaned at least 3 times since we've been here. So while Ian shaved I went and spoke to the room boys about getting some fresh soap. "Could we have some new soap please?" I asked. "You want soup, Sir" came the confused reply. "No no no. Soap, for washing the hands" I replied, with a handwashing action at the same time. "You wanting soup for hands Sir?" "No... SOAP for washing of the hands." "Oh you wanting soap Sir?" "Yes, soap for washing hands. You understand?" "Yes Sir" came the reply.

He nodded knowingly and off he went to the storeroom on another floor only to return with a packed of washing powder! "No, no for washing of the clothes... soap for washing of the hands and wash in bath." I frustratingly repeated. "Me understand Sir." came the confused look.

I then asked him to follow me along the corridor to an empty room where I entered the bathroom and pointed to a cake of soap on the washbasin. "This be the soap we want." I said, pointing to the green slab. "Oh... you be wanting soap Sir." "Yes now you got it... My mistake, I should have spoken English in the first place!" Smilies all 'round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home